The first step is to make an appointment for a free consultation, where we can discuss realistic goals, achievable outcomes, and expectations regarding your specific spa service.
HOW SKINPEN WORKS
The SkinPen uses 12 surgical-grade stainless steel needles to create thousands of micro-channels in the treated skin. This fractionated approach allows for two main benefits:
- Temporary (10-20 minutes) micro-channels allow for superior penetration and diffusion of topicals during and post-procedure, allowing for optimal delivery
- Fractionated injuries to the dermal tissues without ablation or introduction of thermal energy allows for quick, safe, and effective percutaneous collagen induction therapy, even in patients with darker skin types.
These benefits allow for the treatment of many skin conditions which may require either collagen remodeling (i.e., photo-aging, acne scarring, stretch-marks), optimization of topical drug delivery (i.e., acne, melasma) or both.
THE SKINPEN ADVANTAGE
SkinPen is the safest, most effective vertical microneedling device that offers state-of-the-art skin rejuvenating technology. By creating a series of hundreds of vertical microscopic channels into the dermis, SkinPen stimulates the natural production of new collagen and elastin.
ADVANCED VERTICAL MICRONEEDLING TECHNOLOGY
The Difference Of SkinPen
Traditional microneedling dermarollers can bend, break, or even rust. As a result, infection or scarring may occur with reuse. SkinPen is different. Through an optimized micro-channel creation, SkinPen uses straight needles to penetrate at a 90 degree angle to stimulate your skin’s natural ability to produce new collagen and elastin formation, encouraging your skin to look and feel healthier.
The SkinPen Advantage Is:
- Offering results to treat fine lines and wrinkles, acne scars, hyperpigmentation, stretch marks, and skin texture
- A minimally invasive, non-albative treatment
- A skin rejuvenating treatment with a superior safety profile
- An in-office procedure that is quick and simple
THE SCIENCE BEHIND SKINPEN
Collagen Induction Therapy
Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT), or microneedling, is the procedure by which the body’s natural response to healing is used to increase the amount of extracellular matrix such as collagen or elastin in the skin. The micro-channels created by the SkinPen allow for leakage of blood, serum, and lymph in a controlled and temporary manner. These “injuries” are enough to initiate the wound healing cascade which is composed of three basic phases.
Phase One: Inflammation: Activated by piercing the dermal tissue, platelets release cytokines and growth factors which act as signals for the body’s immune system. Neutrophils and macrophages cells are sent in to disinfect the wounds, clear the debris, increase the blood supply (a process called angiogenesis), and begin the creation of fresh, new cellular and extracellular materials (the granulation process).
Phase Two: Proliferation: In this stage, the fibroblasts (cells that make up much of the dermis and create the extracellular matrix) keratinocytes and epidermal cells continue to divide to populate the areas of damage and secrete growth factors and extracellular matrix, such as elastin and collagen.
Phase Three: Remodeling: At this stage, the wound has been replaced with new dermal tissues and the newly formed vasculature is now matured. The collagen in the newly formed tissue is now replaced with the stronger collagen and the tissue contracts to cause a “shrink-wrap” effect of the skin.
The Versatile Design Of SkinPen
The depth of the SkinPen needles can be adjusted from .25 mm up to 2.5 mm in length. This variability allows for the SkinPen provider to adjust treatments based on the patient’s anatomy (skin thickness) as well as the patient’s need (e.g., more penetration required for acne scarring).
Treatments with SkinPen are typically tolerated very well by patients, many reporting that they feel little-to-no discomfort during the procedure. Your SkinPen provider will work with you to ensure your comfort during your procedure. Microneedling is a minimally invasive procedure; however, since the skin is being penetrated there will be some mild effects afterward. These effects will vary based on needle depth used and intensity of treatment. Typical post-treatment effects are as follows
- Day 1: Mild to moderate swelling and redness, similar to a mild sunburn. There may be some mild bruising as well.
- Day 2: Some persisting redness may be present, but all redness bruising and swelling should be diminishing.
- Day 3: Most redness, bruising and swelling should be nearly gone. Normal appearance with makeup may be achieved.
- Day 4: Appear mostly normal at this point with some minor swelling.